Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sad day

I know I went off a few post ago telling my favorite player in the NBA (Allen Iverson) to just retire, but I honestly was hoping he could right the ship and get it together. I was very happy when I saw him drop 18 against Golden State in November and I was slightly convinced he had a happy marriage in Memphis. Boy was I wrong.

For those that have not heard yet, reports are coming out that Allen Iverson will retire. Iverson is a 10-time All-Star, four time scoring champion, and has the 2nd highest playoff scoring average (29.7, first is Michael Jordan). Iverson is arguably one of the best small guys to ever play the game. In my book he is a first ballot hall of famer. He brought excitement and toughness to the game and influenced the NBA more than most players.

Although there have been players that have sported corn rolls and tattoos before "The Answer," none made it more acceptable than him. He was a warrior on the court and played every game like it was his last. That is how I will remember him and I will be courtside when his #3 jersey is raised into the rafters at the Wachovia Center.

However most will choose to remember him for his off the court antics. His childish behavior and "lack of respect" for the game. And oh yeah how could I ever forget "Practice!" So sad. It's sad that people will choose that stuff over him leading a 76ers team to the 2001 NBA Finals by himself. Yeah there were 4 other guys on the floor with him, but I mean lets be real, WHO WERE THEY! And that is not a shot at those guys because I have a lot of love for them. But lets be real, minus Mutumbo, who do you remember from that team?

Damn it's a sad day. I honestly hope that he changes his mind and plays his part so that a Boston, or Cleveland picks him up for a playoff run. Shoot and if all else fails, come home! Come home to Philly. The team needs you because they couldn't fill the stadium if there gave away every ticket. But if we have truely witnessed Iverson for the last time, we have watched one of the best to ever do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment